Search this blog

12/15/2011

After a long long break.....

After a LONG LONG break I continue writing on my blog with a great passion and excitement! I spent my first term in my Gorgeous Independent High School in Buckingham. Michaelmas Term is over and right after Christmas break I have 3 AS Modules in January. These modules create the base of my A levels and they are the easiest modules in my course; therefore I really have to get good grades!

Generally A Levels require very hard work and instead of memorizing tones of facts; pupils are expected to use the knowledge to do application, analysis and evaluation. And these skills are the HIGH LEVEL THINKING SKILLS!!!!!!!!! And for all subjects including the science subjects, students have to develop these skills. Lets think Turkey's education system; most of the Chemistry students were expected to know the atomic number of at least 20 of the elements. WHEREAS IN THE UK YOU HAVE THE PERIODIC TABLE IN FRONT OF YOU IN THE EXAM!!!!!! And ....there are Calculators...

When I learned the difference in this system I said to myself "Did I learn that whole bunch of irrelevant facts for nothing?' the answer is "No". But for A Levels "Yes". Therefore I felt I was struggling in the first 2 months of school. Still I am getting used to the system but it is improving! I got invitations to the Headmaster's Supper and got Merits from my teachers. Also one of the benefits in an independent school is the extracurricular. I am in the Chapel Choir as a soprano and I performed in various concerts this term, including two Carole Services (Junior & Senior). Singing lessons were amazing! I aim be a grade 8 singer in the end of this year. I wish everyone a great Christmas Break! Looking forward to write again!

Sena :)

No comments:

Post a Comment